Many veterans who return from military service have to cope with symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). They may experience a tough time readapting to life out of the military. They may feel constantly edgy, disconnected or emotionally numb, or close to exploding or panicking. However, it is important to know that they are not alone, and treatments are now available to address these problems.
Ketamine treatment infusions are a safe, proven and effective solution to help address the symptoms of PTSD. Additionally, a number of self-help steps can be used by the patient to deal with flashbacks and nightmares, cope with feelings of guilt, anxiety or depression, and restore their sense of control and mental health. Ketamine Clinics of Los Angeles, led by Dr. Steven Mandel, provides ketamine therapies to patients in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, California, and other cities in the region.
Symptoms of PTSD in Veterans
PTSD symptoms will develop differently in different patients, but may be categorized into four clusters:
- Intrusive, recurrent reminders of the traumatic event, including flashbacks, nightmares, and distressing thoughts where the patient feels that the event is occurring again.
- Extreme avoidance of anything that triggers a reminder of the traumatic event, including thoughts, situations, people, and places that may be associated with bad memories.
- Negative changes in moods and thoughts, and persistent feelings of guilt, shame or fear. The patient may have diminished ability to experience positive emotions.
- Being edgy and emotionally reactive most of the time, as indicated by anger, irritability, careless behavior, sleep difficulties, concentration issues, and hyper vigilance.
- Get moving and follow a regular exercise regimen.
- Pursue outdoor activities
- Seek out local organizations for recreation opportunities
- Perform mindful breathing exercises
- Connect with others and communicate
- Join a PTSD support group
- Use relaxation techniques such as massage and meditation
- Seek professional treatment for PTSD
Treatment with Ketamine Infusions
One of the most promising and effective treatment options now available for patients suffering from PTSD symptoms is ketamine infusion treatments. Ketamine therapy has proved to be more effective than other alternatives and also avoids the severe side effects typically associated with conventional therapies.
Low doses of ketamine will be infused through IV at sub-anesthetic levels. This allows the provider to administer the treatment as an in-office procedure, and helps ensure that the patient does not have to go through the serious side effects involved with conventional treatments.
One of the important benefits of ketamine infusion therapy is that if the patient shows a positive response to this treatment approach, the symptoms will begin to improve within hours to days rather than weeks to months as in case of other alternatives. Research studies have shown that just one low dose IV infusion of ketamine for about 40 minutes will lead to a quick reduction in the PTSD symptoms.
Best results may be achieved with six treatments of ketamine received over two to three weeks. Dr. Mandel receives patients from Los Angeles, Beverly Hills, California, and nearby areas for the treatment of PTSD symptoms.
For more information about treatments for depression, bipolar, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), fibromyalgia, pain syndromes and other conditions contact us at the Ketamine Clinics of Los Angeles in Southern California (Orange County) by clicking here or calling 310-270-0625